About us

We are: Jarom, Erica and Fae Bowman- glad you stopped by our blog!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Idaho...

As most of you know, I am beyond, BEYOND excited to get out of here. With me having been here for 5 years and Jarom having grown up here, it is really time to move on. But, before we leave I thought I would try to leave some sort of a mark.

On Saturday February 19th, Jarom and I left Idaho Falls to come back home to Rexburg. Its generally a half hour drive, yet this night it took us over an hour. Why? you ask.. because it had snowed about 6 inches. There was 6 inches of snow on the highway. Not fluffy snow, it was wet, slippery, heavy snow. Cars were sliding off the road left and right, and it was especially slippery over the two bridges we cross. I honestly feared for our lives. No Joke I kept envisioning us falling over the bridge into the ice cold snake river. It was terrifying.

It had started really snowing around 9PM that night, and by the time we left at 11, like I said, there was about 6 inches of snow. thats 2 hours!! 2 HOURS! There was not ONE plow out on the road. I was furious when we got home, and wrote the governor a letter.

I explained my frustrations and my expectations. A few days later I received a letter back. He tried to tell me that there are 78 readily available maintenance employees and 70 plow trucks just in that district. He then proceeded to give me an Idaho weather report. Guess what Butch?! (thats his name
) I don't care!!
I wrote him yet ANOTHER letter explaining my doubt that there is even one plow owned by the state and that there is no way there are 78 readily available employees when I didn't see one that night over the course of 2 hours of heavy snowfall. I also told him that I didn't much care about an Idaho winter weather report. I told him it really shouldn't matter, and that the plow employees shouldn't wait for the snow to stop falling, they should be continually plowing. I ended a little dramatically saying I was disturbed by his lack of concern for the Idaho citizens and their safety.

Anyway, I doubt anything will actually change, but SERIOUSLY I can't believe people live like this. Its not abut learning how to drive in the snow, or buying a huge truck, its about safety. Also, we pay taxes for this... well those of you who work... and I for one want to be SAFE when I drive, not stuck on the side of the highway waiting 3 hours for help to arrive.

1 comment:

  1. That is ridiculous. I'm from Illinois and when there is ever talk of snow the plows are out roaming the streets waiting for it to fall so they can clean it up. I'm so glad I've never spent a winter in Idaho!

    ReplyDelete