About us

We are: Jarom, Erica and Fae Bowman- glad you stopped by our blog!

Thursday, June 10, 2010

I thought I would do some reserch

The other day, my brother informed me that prenatal massage was bad for the baby, saying that toxins are released and certain pressure points shouldn't be touched etc. So, I thought I would do some research Just to be safe, since I have been getting massages pretty regularly, here is what I found from various websites, and talking to my own doctor:

Benefits of Prenatal Massage
In addition to the normal benefits of massage, prenatal massage has a number of benefits for mothers-to-be:
Reduces stress levels
Eases back and foot pain caused by changes in posture
Reduces swelling of feet and ankles
Improves skin elasticity, reducing stretch marks
Improves sleep
Improves digestion
Relaxes and soothes baby
Reduces pelvic pain
Additionally, a prenatal massage therapist can frequently recognize early signs of dangerous complications, reducing the risk to both mother and child.


Risks of Prenatal Massage
There are relatively few risks with prenatal massage, and some of the risks that are talked about a lot are urban legends. The real risks are:
Dizziness and nausea
Untrained therapist causing injury
Too deep massage of back or abdomen causing spotting or cramping
Muscle Soreness


* The most important thing is to make sure you are being massaged by a trained and certified massage therapist * Consequently, I will continue my biweekly massages :) But, I am glad I looked into it.

Note: TOXINS
Toxins are poisonous substances produced by organisms and living cells. They vary in severity, ranging from mildly irritating, such as a bee sting, to deadly, such as botulinum toxin. You can easily get toxins through the food you eat and the air you breathe; in fact, your body can also produce toxins.
* I called my doctor and asked her if this should be a concern in regards to massage, she simply said no. Toxins will be in your body and released every time you exercise or eat certain foods anyway. The only counsel she gave was to make sure I was flushing my body regularly, which I should be doing anyway by drinking lots of water.* Of course, you should not do a detox treatment while pregnant, but the amount of toxins released in prenatal massage are not harmful as long as you drink water.

No comments:

Post a Comment