About us

We are: Jarom, Erica and Fae Bowman- glad you stopped by our blog!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

sometimes

Ugh, sometimes other mothers make me feel like I'm a horrible, irresponsible mommy. (That may be because they say it... in so many words)

So, To all those mommas out there who don't let your kids "cry it out", who pick them up every time they fall down, cuddle with them every night, read stories to them before nap time, makes sure the eat a balanced meal- at every meal- to those of you who potty train early, and somehow teach your children to be quiet during church (or other times they need to be quiet) and to those of you who live without 8 hours of sleep everything - straight and don't take showers if their child wont take their "morning nap". I applaud you. I think you are amazing. I want to know your secrets because-

I'm a momma who definitely lets her baby cry it out, I don't pick her up every time she falls down, I read stories to her- at some point everyday- I rush to get her fed.. and I have to chase her around to make her eat- sometimes I still give her formula if I'm running late in the morning- she is still on a bottle- potty training is way out of sight- and she is never quiet! But I do have to say-- to defend myself-- Fae is the happiest baby in the world, she sleeps through the night, and has since 2 months old (unless she is sick), she is smart, and talented, and extremely athletic.. it's really quite incredible. She can say a lot of words, including "psycho" haha... which she learned because I called someone a psycho.. which means I need to watch what I say a lot more. She knows most of her colors, and can say them (if she wants to)-She is growing like a weed, and at every check up the Dr. tells me I'm doing a good job.

So maybe on the outside, to some people it may look like I'm being irresponsible, but I'm doing my best- and I'm doing what I think is right.

4 comments:

  1. Oh golly, don't feel bad. My daughter is going to be 2 in 2 weeks (sad!) and she is still on the bottle. I used to give her one every time she wanted it but I've cut it down to just the morning, nap, and bedtime. I originally wanted to start weaning her off of it but I figure, it's going to be too much of a hassle (it's already hard not giving her at least 6 a day) and with her life changing so much in a few months (new baby and hopefully moving to a new home too!) it will be nice to have something like her bottle as a constant. Plus, I always hear people say that when they're ready it's easier to have kids to do anything, whether it's giving up a pacifier, bottle, or being potty trained.

    For food- I don't know how people feed there kids on a schedule and it's a balanced diet. I try, but it doesn't always happen for me either and I'm usually just glad if Adelaide eats SOMETHING. I'm also guilty of just letting my child lay down on the floor of a store and scream her little heart out b/c she's not getting her way. She calms down quickly and then we can continue on.

    I figure as long as your kid is healthy and happy, you've got to be doing something right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fur real. Timing of milestones is such a bad way to judge parenting. If it makes you feel better, Katie will be 3 in June and isn't potty trained yet. But like you, I have a thriving daughter, and it's so important to let that be the real barometer of parenting "success" whatever that is . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Erica! I think you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I let Elleanor cry it out almost every day. Kids need to be able to self sooth. I totally agree with you, granted I only let her cry for 9 mins and if she keeps going I go and get her, but i am all for self sooth! I am sure you are an amazing mother!

    ReplyDelete